I noticed some of the ones I follow, which I consider modern gurus or teachers of different traditions, and made a list of what they do differently these days, here is what I came up with:
THE NEW GURU:
- Is available, responds to questions from readers through forums or bulleting boards online (of course he does not have time to respond to everyone, but he or she tries)
- Has a website
- Blogs at least 3 times a week
- Shares the iluminations she/he gets throughout the day in Twitter
- Has a facebook fan page, or not
- Travels teaching
- Directs traffic to websites that help when natural disasters strike so that people will focus their energy where needed
- Is a bit of a Robbin Hood. Conducts fund-raising events among his or her famous friends to gather resources for those who need them
- Lives well, but only with things he or she needs, uses the money that flows through her or him efficiently
- Publishes books, Cds, dvds, gives videoconferences, streaming video, etc.
What am I missing, what do you see modern gurus doing?