Prasaritas Video: "Turn on the lights of the pose"

A few things I have discovered about the Prasaritas:  At 0:14' - 0:17' in the video below you can clearly see the moment where, each time, I remember what Richard Freeman says in one of his videos "Turn on the light of the pose".  This imagery works well on Prasaritas: it reminds me to engage bandhas and get the abs in, focus the dristi (eye sight point) engage the quads and lengthen the tail bone.  Just 7 words make me do all that.

When zoning in on the prasaritas I can clearly feel that my body is just a suit, a coat of sorts, that needs to be stretched to contain the flesh and bones into the shape that the asanas demand.  It is one of those poses that completely makes me aware that I am within the confines of a body, and that the body can be re-aligned, re-streched. I don't know why, but this pose just brings out the "workability" of the flesh and bones.

Recently I read a very illuminating post by Grimmly on his own experience on the touchdown of the hands during Prasarita C. I have been working every since I read that on the shoulders and playing with the energy alongside the arms.  May not happen soon but I am having some fun trying.

The legs can never get straight enough.  At least not for me. I seem to be having a conversation or a dialog with the legs straightening, or not.  I feel pain in the back of the legs and so I bend, then I remember to engage the quadriceps and that is when they straighten again. And on and on we dance.

What is your experience with them?



Follow me on Twitter or subscribe at: ClaudiaYoga.com
StumbleUpon

4 comments:

  1. Hello Claudia,
    great video of your practice! I totally relate to what you said about the legs never seeming to stay straight, and how the prasaritas consist very much of a dialogue between the hamstrings and the quads. This happens with me too. In fact, for the longest time, I practiced under the illusion that my legs were straight all the time (mainly because I've always thought my hamstrings are quite open). Then one day, my teacher pointed out that my left leg has the tendency to bend a little! (and shattered my illusion of super-flexibility...). And then I realized that I needed to constantly remind my left quad to engage.

    Best,
    Nobel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nobel, phewww, good thing to hear from you and that you have this too cause I was beginning to think I was the only one... I find that videos are ruthless they really tell it to me "like it is"... I am always also constantly remembering to engage the quads, especially since the Thailand training which made such an emphasis on that, and such a good thing it is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had an interesting adjustment from P at TY in London recently. I have flat feet - and she's been the only teacher I've had who has noticed that my arches are exceptionally fallen in this asana (I roll my feet inwards). She told me to consciously engage the arches, lifting them up (almost like you're externally rotating your arches). This changed the whole pose for me - coz from here, it felt like my quads automatically lifted and straightened just that little bit more. I dunno if they "look straight" but they certainly "felt straighter" just from what was happening in the arches. Wonder if this will make a difference for someone with normal arches too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your analysis - I don't have nearly as sophisticated an understanding of what's happening in these poses so this is all good food for thought - thanks! I'm finding the most interesting thing about the Prasaritas to be the position of my head relative to my legs. I always feel like I get my head down only by sort of tipping forward and I feel like I'm seeing my legs way behind me - but my teacher has told me that my head is actually between my legs and thst I just need to focus on tucking my chin and pulling my head further through my legs. It's one of the interesting things about this practice that without mirrors, I often have no idea what my own body is doing.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Follow Me on Twitter