I got hurt by a comment and learned a new sutra

Recently I got a sarcastic comment to one of my posts, and it hurt.  My own sense of well being is fragile, child-like, prone to suffering.

I know that one day I will get to the graduate level where "I am independent of the good or bad opinions of others" (as Chopra would put it), but so far I am dealing with what is, keeping it real on what I feel, and it is not there yet. So it hurts. My own human make-up is tender.

On further reflection, I notice now that this person was not there to hurt me with the comment (which was not at this blog by the way) but rather to facilitate my understanding of my favorite sutra of this week, II.16, in very practical terms:

II.16 Suffering that is yet to manifest is to be avoided

I could have gotten mad with the "commentator" and attack him back, instead I replied by saying that I "got" the sarcasm part, and that I thought he was a good writer.  I put the focus on the positive part of his comment (he could write) and removed "me" (the sarcasm intended to hurt me) as much as possible.  I prevented further pain for me and let him save his ego perhaps preventing further pain on his part? that I cannot control, but the attempt was made.

Just by being careful in relationships with others and ensuring that we are not hurting their already fragile sense of being we can prevent further pain, not all of it, but we can try.

Just by putting the attention on the yoga sutras the universe seems to send "messages", it folds and unfolds itself in ways that provide further interpretation, or maybe you may argue, I am deluded and in serious need of a teacher. I find that learning a new sutra is as difficult as learning a new asana.

So here is my singing Book II, Sutras 1 through 16:



I started with Book 2 for practical reasons. Here is the first post on this series that includes the resources I am using.
Follow me on Twitter or subscribe at: ClaudiaYoga.com
StumbleUpon

11 comments:

  1. Desiring to learn the sutras has you facing in the right direction, so you are there. Redirecting the focus of the comment feels right.

    The universe is infinite and able to absorb your pain, which you have released.

    Good job!

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sarcastic comments can be a challenge. especially when there's a strong personalized attack element within them. the benefit of the internet is that you have the time to step back and let it just be words on the screen, that you can then choose to approach. after a few years of blogging now, i've gotten pretty good at working with comments.

    it's not as easy in person. thanks for sharing line II. 16.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry you were feeling a little bruised Claudia glad you managed to rise above it. Sounds like your having fun over there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is why I love you, Claudia. Your ability to transform someone's own personal projection of their anger into a spiritual lesson for yourself is true alchemy. I often need to apply that alchemy to my own interactions with commenters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nobel: "Who? Who attacked you, Claudia? I'm going to go out there and kick their ass! Maybe put them in a yoga posture they can never get out of!"

    You know I'm just kidding, right? But seriously, I'm really sorry you got attacked. I totally agree with Nathan that "the benefit of the internet is that you have the time to step back and let it just be words on the screen, that you can then choose to approach." But in a way, this shows the small-mindedness of the attacker even more: What are you proving by attacking somebody whom you know has no means to really attack you back?

    But I'm really glad and inspired that you did what you did. This is probably neither here nor there, but I'll leave you with something some wise guy once said: "Sarcasm is the refuge of losers." (Do you know which movie this came from ? :-))

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was late for chanting here the other day and told my friend C i couldn't go in late because i would be yelled at. C responded that my self worth should not be tied up in whether or not i get yelled it. it is SO hard not to to get our validation, either positive or negative, through our interactions with others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Nathan, yes, guess you have experienced it too... and you are right, the buffer of time helps, different story in real time, good point. Will follow your blog, just noticed you have 3! goodness you are quite the prolific writter, which one is the most active?

    @Grimmly, thank you, feel better now... and yes I am enjoying it here :-)

    @James, thank you, you are oh so sweet, I love you too

    @Nobel, you know I am laughing!, HA HA HA yes, you PUT him in kapotasana! yeah! that will teach him, like, yeah!!! and please DO tell me what movie is that line from? I hear you on the "what are you proving" wish more people would deal with their own anger...

    @Tova, it was so nice to meet you yesterday! and yes, I am a validation addict... I hear you, good that we are on the yoga practice path that makes us deal with it... and learn... and eventually maybe we wont mind if we get yelled for being late to chanting or if someone is rude commenting, thanks for sharing your insight and what happened to you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, I had yoganidrasana in mind. I think that's harder to get out of on your own if your hips are tight :-)

    That line is from Little Miss Sunshine. It's spoken by Greg Kinnear, who plays the father in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Claudia,

    Dangerous Harvests is my most active blog, and then the Creative Writing blog. The third one was a group blog that hasn't been active for a long time now.

    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nobel, yoganidrasana.... yes. niceeeee THAT will do... Oh Little Miss Sunshine, I liked that movie

    Nathan, thanks for letting me know, will add these two then

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Follow Me on Twitter