David Keil: Yoga Anatomy - DVD Review: Volumes 1 and 2

The subject of David's DVDs: anatomy, is dry, unless you are into it.  BUT David finds a way to make it meaningful from the perspective of a yoga practitioner and/or a teacher. He also  covers a huge amount of territory.

Click on the image to visit Amazon

Looking at the cover I thought that it would have humor in it, but in reality the DVD is very serious and other than the occasional and rare joke (yes looks like the skeleton has his skull empty), it is a very focused and a valuable resource for practitioners that want to know more about what goes on inside the body.

David points out that there are a lot of elements in anatomy, but, just like in yoga, it is important to gather them all together. They are not separate systems, they are all very interrelated, and throughout the lecture you get the sense of how each part connects with the other.

I found the first DVD valuable in the way of learning the basic terminology, i.e.: "distal and proximal" "lateral vs. medial" "rotation" etc.  The explanation is clear. I also liked some of the formulas he makes to remember names (bone name + letter "O" + Joint name).
I won't pretend I am all learned now, anatomy is a profound subject, but I feel I have a go-to place, and I will probably watch it again, and again, when necessary.

DVD II opens with the psoas, which is the “center of gravity that controls our center of movement, and that is why it gets to be included in what is known as "core" (psoas, abdominal muscles etc)". 


A large portion of the DVD talks about back pain and addresses disks herniation, then gives ideas on how to treat back pain.

He separates the healing of such horrible malady into two camps, people who think that back pain can be healed provided that:
a) The abdominal muscles are strengthened, and 
b) The abdominal muscles need to be released.   

He believes that the releasing of the abdominal muscles may help those who sit for most of the day as the tissues will tend to shorten due to posture and the ribs and pubic bone become closer together (hunching, -my word-). 

Throughout the course he emphasizes the need to look at each individual,ala Krishnamacharya, to see what is happening in their organisms before making any recommendations.


David Keil
----
I would say it is interesting to see anatomy in this form, meaning conversation rather than book, although I wish there were more drawings and animations, never the less as it stands the video is a pretty good resource to have around.

Not so long ago David actually took the time to answer my nutation question, for which I am grateful, and that post continues to be on the "most read" list.  I guess there is quite a bit of interest in anatomy out there.

For David's website go here

Thank you Christine for recovering the post I thought I had lost and that Google never recovered!

Follow me on Twitter or subscribe at: ClaudiaYoga.com
StumbleUpon

2 comments:

  1. Me too Christine, thank you, phewww! what a relief!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Follow Me on Twitter