Sharath/Saraswati CT -Day One: How Long Will The Shala in Mysore Be Open For?

In yoga you don't get to rest - Says Sharath, and laughs (it is a joke) as he wakes us all up from the exact second we laid down in savasana after a brutal, fast primary series.


The new studio in Greenwich is beautiful, the floors are so amazing you don't mind your nose diving into it at Buja Pidasana. The light is just right, with over head windows all around. The pink of the Cherry trees gives a relieving view as you turn and roll around in Garba Pindasana, the sun bathes you gently as you sweat your wits off throughout one of the hardest asana classes you can take in the planet.
Puja (prayers) in progress as seen from the outside window
very early on
This was probably the most intense ratio of teacher to student with Sharath and Saraswati I ever attended.  40 students to the both of them, imagine that.  James of course, got the inaugural adjustment, the first ever in Greenwich's Jois Yoga, and from Sharath.

James, you bastard!

I captured the room empty from the outside, as we came in
The photographers were everywhere, all three of them, in a room that fits 40 max.

The room at around 6:05- Here you can see the over-head windows
which are all around the studio and bring in lovely light
The mini-conference continues:  What is yoga? Says Sharath after everyone catches wind that -for real- we are not to rest in savasana, at least not yet.  Many people ask this question, he continues, yoga is a mystery, you have to experience it to really know what it is.  And this part, asana, is very important.  Asana is what balances the mind and the body, it is what ends the delusions. 

Yoga is chita vrita nirodaha,[Yoga Sutra 1.2],  but controlling the mind cannot happen if we do not follow asana, yamas and niyamas.

And eventually yoga is liberation, but in a body that is not balanced, that is not strong and free of delusions, how can we even begin to think about liberation?


So remember that, remember how important asana is.

Slight chance of some paraphrasing, I did not have a notebook. And that was the end of the mini conference.

----

At 6:00AM  in the morning, when we arrived, Greenwich had little light, and as you got close to the windows of Joys Yoga you could hear the loud and determined sounds of the puja in progress.  The room filled quickly and it was good to meet some fellow blogger, like Maria, a cyber-yogi-friend. Picture came a bit moved...

With Serene Flavor (Maria)
At the end of the conference, James and I managed to stay in savasana for a little, not enough time really, as other students began to move towards the door.
James with Saraswati.
He is pretty sweaty after practice
I came out to ask Sharath the question that has been on my mind: How long will the shala be open in Mysore?  We know it opens in July (2012), but until when will he teach?  "All the way, he said, we are going until the end of March" (2013).  How about that, a Mysore season of nine months, something that I don't think has happened since the times of Guruji, although I could be wrong.

Tomorrow we take again!

See Also:
Big Changes for Ashtanga in New York City, John Cambpell to Head Jois Yoga, CT, for a while.




Follow me on Twitter or subscribe at: ClaudiaYoga.com
StumbleUpon

7 comments:

  1. :-) sorry it came a bit moved, I think since we played with the settings for night pictures it has not been the same, will have to adjust. Was really sweet to finally meet you in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool to hear! I'll be there tomorrow as well, with a small posse (a.k.a 3 friends) from the Boston community!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is great Tara! by the way, don't think I have your blog in the roll I will add you to stay in touch. Hope to see you tomorrow and enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--though I haven't been writing in my blog for the last couple of months :-) I go through phases where I feel like writing and then phases where I don't. Clearly that's where I am right now. But thanks all the same :)

      Delete
  4. I did see you there! Didn't get a chance to say hello though. You were in the front row with James. I was in the front row as well, a couple of people down from you right in front of Sharath, with two of my friends...all 3 of us wearing black pants and red tanks that said "Ashtanga 4 Life" on them. That was the first time I've practiced with Sharath, I really like his pace for the class and how much he really seems to just love teaching and getting to share the yoga.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tara, nice to sort-of-meet you!!! :-) nice energy in the room ha? I agree he has a passion for teaching, he loves it and it shows...

      Delete

Anonymous comments can no longer be accepted (I was getting enormous amounts of spam)... But I hope you guys still continue to share your views, I welcome the conversation

Follow Me on Twitter